Custer's Last Stand Never Happened!

Has Custer been spotted with Elvis at a mall somewhere in the midwest?? This is an excerpt from an article that appeared in the SUN tabloid dated 19 February 1991.

General Custer did not die at the Battle of Little Bighorn. He was taken to Canada as a prisoner of war by Chief Sitting Bull and died in 1906, according to a top historian.

Custer's Last Stand was a last stand for 250 members of the 7th Cavalry, but not for Custer, says Dr. Horace Frontenac, a former professor of history at the Sorbonne in Paris and a guest lecturer at the Uni- versity of Alberta.

Dr. Frontenac, an expert on Indian wars from 1865 to 1890, says his claim is based on diaries of soldiers serving in the 7th Cavalry and on word-of mouth testimony from descendants of Sioux warriors who fought in the battle or who knew Custer in Canada. According to the official Indian testimony, Custer was last seen on the battlefield crawling on hands and knees, with wounds in his side and head.

A year later, 7th Cavalry trooper William C. Slabo was attached to a burial detail assigned to remove the bodies of the dead soldiers hastily buried at Little Bighorn after the battle. Slabo, who died in 1932, said General George Custer's decomposing body was never positively identified before it was shipped to West Point for burial.

That was. curious because, even after a year in the grave, Custer's blond hair should have been easy to identify,' says Frontenac. It was not identified because Custer did not die in the battle. According to unpublished Indian accounts of the battle, a warrior under the command of Chief Gall, who led the frontal attack on Custer's command, found the general alive after the battle. The Sioux hated Custer, but considered him to be almost superhuman. When the warrior recognized the general by hi blond hair and heard, he s did not bash his brains Out with a war club, the fate the lesser wounded men. Instead, the warrior reported Custer's condition to Gall, who turned the wounded general over to Sitting Bull.

Because Sitting Bull and the Sioux were expecting other U.S. troops to arrive soon, they beat a hasty retreat to northern Montana and then across the border into Canada, taking the badly-wounded Custer with them.

In the months and years that followed, the shock of his defeat was too much for the egomaniacal Custer to endure. He behaved as though the Battle of Little Bighorn had never taken place, and that his captors were not Indians but members of the 7th Cavalry Frontenac says. Because he was obviously crazy, and the Indians had a superstitious awe of crazy people, Custer was not harmed, but allowed to wander about the camp commanding troops of laughing boys.

Custer remained with Sitting Bull until 1881, when the old chief returned to the United States. He then remained in Canada with a group of the Hunkpapa Lakota branch of the Sioux, still oblivious to the real world around him. Custer died near Medicine Hat, Alberta, June 6, at the age of 67, just 20 days short of the 20th anniversary of the real battle, Frontenac says.

Although he was completely unaware of it, he outlived his old enemy, Sitting Bull by 16 years, who was killed in 1890 by Indian police in South Dakota.